The items on this page are for your information and consideration. Check with your health provider before implementing any of these ideas. This page will be updated periodically, so check back for new links. Scroll down to see:
- Home Safety and Home Modifications
- Information on Medications and their affect on balance
- Home Exercise Programs
- Additional Topics that may be of interest.
1. Home Safety and Home Modifications: http://www.homemods.org/resources/pages/safety.shtml
Evaluate the safety of your home, including suggestions to make it safer.
2. Medications and their effect on balance:
- Drug Muggers by Suzy Cohen, RPh
3. Home Exercise Programs:
FallProof™ DVD’s: http://hhdapps.fullerton.edu/csapayment/CenterProducts/FPHEV.asp
FallProof™ Booklets: http://www.stopfalls.org/service_providers/Exercise_Brochure_Order_Form.pdf
The online Growing Stronger program from CDC and Tufts University.
The online Go4Life program from the National Institute on Aging.
The downloadable book Growing Stronger: Strength Training for Older Adults.
5 lb. variable ankle weights: http://www.tko.com/products/pair-of-adjustable-ankle-weights
10 lb. variable ankle weights: http://www.tko.com/products/individual-10-lb-rehab-ankle-weight
Stability ball: http://www.alimed.com/physical-therapy/exercise/exercise-balls
Rocker board: https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Strengthening-Rehabilitation-Improvement-Coordination/dp/B0011YUKPE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1507532716&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=rocker+board&psc=1
5. Additional topics that may be of interest.
Videos and websites:
(continues directly into Part 2)
- You Tube video of interview with Sally Pacholok, Part 2
- You Tube video of the work of Joseph Chandy, MD with B12
- You Tube video “Diagnosing and Treating Vitamin B12 Deficiency”
- B12 Awareness website
- Vegan Health webside
Finding Underlying Issues that May be At the Root of Health Problems
- Genova Diagnostics: Patients can search tests by symptom, disease, or wellness goal and see various areas that could be investigated, along with the recommended tests. For example, many people complain of fatigue. A search for fatigue will show 17 possible areas to be investigated, including nutrition, thyroid function, heavy metal toxicity, etc. Such a through investigation will likely get to the root cause of the problem.
- SpectraCell: According to the SpectraCell website: “SpectraCell is the leader in nutritional testing. SpectraCell’s specialized offerings include the most advanced tests for assessment of nutritional deficiencies and cardiovascular risk. Through its dedication to research and development, SpectraCell also provides innovative diagnostic analysis in the emerging fields of anti-aging medicine and genetic testing.” Only some of SpectraCell’s tests are available in New York. The rest are given in New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Functional Medicine: Functional Medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease.
Some Additional Ways to Manage Health Issues
- Osteopathy: Described on the website.
- Homeopathy: Described on the website.
- Bach Flower Essences: A gentle approach to the treatment of various mental states that has been shown to be without side effects or drug interactions. For example, this approach is ideal for insomnia when recurring thoughts, worries, fears, etc. are interfering with sleep.
- Margaret Hills Clinic: See this website for a natural program for the treatment of arthritis.
- The Bates Method: For improving vision.
- Vestibular Disorders Association: For those suffering from dizziness, vertigo, etc.
Health Issues that May Have an Impact on Balance:
- Could It Be B12: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Second Edition) by Sally M. Pacholok, R.N., B.S.N. and Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O.
- Nutrients for Neuropathy by John A. Senneff.
- Drug Muggers by Suzy Cohen, RPh. This book examines the effect of prescription medication on nutrients.
- Arthritis, Second Edition by Ellen Kamhi, Ph.D., R.N., H.N.C. and Eugene R. Zampieron, N.D., M.H. (A.H.G.). This book offers a comprehensive look at underlying causes of inflammation and many chronic diseases. Once the root causes are known, a treatment plan can be developed. Drugs and surgery treat the symptoms. Finding the underlying causes can often lead to cures.
- Treating Arthritis The Drug-Free Way, New Edition by Margaret Hills, SRN and revised by Christine Horner, ECNP, MRNT. This book shares the unique drug-free method of treating arthritis developed by English nurse Margaret Hills.
- Whole-Body Dentistry: A Complete Guide to Understanding the Impact of Dentistry on Total Health by Mark A. Breiner, DDS. The key to many health problems may be in the mouth.
- Why Stomach Acid is Good For You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux & GERD by Jonathan V. Wright, M.D. and Lane Lenard, Ph.D. This book makes the point that symptoms commonly attributed to excess stomach acid are often due to lack of stomach acid and that adequate stomach acid is necessary for many of the body’s functions, including maintaining adequate stores of B12 which are so important for balance.
- Beating Alzheimer’s: A Step Toward Unlocking The Mysteries of Brain Diseases by Tom Warren. This book details the fascinating story of one man’s ability to reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer’s.
- The Whole-Body Approach to Osteoporosis by R. Keith McCormick, DC. This book covers the systemic causes and treatment of osteoporosis.
- A Mind of Your Own by Kelly Brogan, MD and How Come They’re Happy and I’m Not? by Peter Bongiorno, ND, LAc. These books give a comprehensive look at the possible root causes of depression coming from multiple body systems.
- Strong Women Stay Young and related books by Miriam E. Nelson, Ph.D., one of the Tufts University researchers involved in the early studies on the effects of strength training on seniors.
On Issues Commonly Affecting Happiness of Midlife and Senior Adults:
- The Joy of Not Working: A book for the Retired, Unemployed, and Overworked by Ernie J. Zelinski
- How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won’t Get From Your Financial Advisor by Ernie J. Zelinski
- How to Survive the Loss of a Love by Melba Colgrove, Harold Bloomfield, Peter McWilliams