“Pain is an uncomfortable sensory experience triggered in the nervous system. Pain may be transitory or constant, sharp or dull, localized or diffuse, or referred to an area from another part of the body. Pain often serves a purpose, warning us of potential injury or reflecting underlying problems that require attention. Acute or chronic pain is always secondary to another process, such as mechanical force, tissue injury, infection or inflammation. Identifying contributing factors is an important step in resolving chronic pain.” From Genova Diagnostics website, http://www.gdx.net.
Tests from Genova Diagnostics to help find the cause of pain: (the following are quotes from www.gdx.net.)
- Nutrition: A proper balance of vitamins, minerals, essential fats, and amino acids helps control inflammation, spasm, and other initiators of pain.
- Heavy Metal Toxicity: Exposure to toxic metals like mercury can encourage free radical activity, cellular damage and pain.
- Fatty Acids: The production of compounds involved in pain are directly determined by the balance of essential fatty acids in the body.
- Allergies: Chronic or recurrent pain may signal the presence of allergy-induced inflammation.
- Oxidative Stress: Cellular damage from unstable free radical molecules is a significant driving force in many pain syndromes.
- Organic Acids: This testing can pinpoint disruptions in cellular energy production, a possible cause of muscle pain and fatigue.
- Genetic Predisposition: The degree of pain and one’s sensitivity to it is often influenced by inherited traits.